Friday, February 25, 2011

Reece's Icecream

Ever since I was little I have loved peanut butter and chocolate together. These days it could be considered an almost sophisticated flavour combination, something in the realm of salted butter caramel or Lindt with sea salt. But for me it has always been about that most unsophisticated American chocolate bar, the Reece's Peanut Butter Cup. I discovered them on family trips to the States and would bring big bags back home with me. I remember being very excited when they started selling them in Australia.

My love for PB&C later collided with my love for icecream, when I was introduced to the Baskin-Robbins Peanut Butter N' Chocolate flavour. I can recall that moment exactly. I was in Port Macquarie to watch the Ironman triathlon and couldn't believe I had gone so long without knowing this icecream existed.

Now that I have an icecream maker I can make my own chocolate and peanut icecream - or Reece's Icecream, as I like to call it. The photo is not great as you can't see the big salty homemade-peanut-buttery chunks. But trust me, they are there. And they make this icecream completely irresistible.

I adapted the idea for the peanut butter chunks from a David Lebovitz recipe which is mentioned in many blogs, but is not on his site. I used homemade peanut butter but anything would work. I went super simple for the icecream because I am lazy and cheap, but you could use any chocolate icecream recipe as a base.

Reece's Icecream

Ingredients:
1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 Tbs icing sugar
3 Tbs peanut butter

Method:
1. Mix the peanut butter and icing sugar until well-combined. Use a melon baller or small spoon to form little nuggets of peanut butter, about the size of a small marble. Place nuggets in a container in the freezer.
2. Gently heat the milk and cream, bring to a simmer but do not boil. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar and keep whisking until the mixture is completely smooth. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Depending on the ambient temperature and the power of your icecream maker, it can help to chill your mixture before you churn it - up to you.
4. Churn your ice-cream, adding the frozen peanut butter chunks for the last few minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wondering what the ice-cream maker has been up to lately. Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete