Monday, February 27, 2012

Daring Bakers' February 2012 Challenge - Quick Breads

The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lisa stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.
I think I have mentioned before my crazy love of banana bread. "Toasted, no butter" is pretty much my catch-cry. At times I have eaten a slice a day for weeks on end. So I was pretty happy to see quick breads as the challenge and an opportunity for me to broaden my quick bread horizons.
I had high hopes to make many different breads, including a lime version of this lemon coconut bread and a proper high fat "cafe-style" banana bread. But once again I must plead the excuse of the new little baby in my life. In the end I made just two versions, one sweet and one savoury.
The sweet bread was this zucchini bread. Sadly it was not "the best" and in fact was not even very good, but I did omit the chocolate (because I ate it) and reduce the sugar (because we had run out) so I can't blame the recipe.


Zucchini bread - Papa loaf and baby loaf
The savory bread was a stout version of this beer and cheese bread. I happened to have some stout left over from making a most amazing stout and coffee ice-cream. (I would very highly recommend that recipe, but it's not part of the challenge.) The stout bread was interesting and livened up a few dinners, but it was a little too stodgy for my taste.
Stout bread - toasted, no butter 


Thank you to our host Lis. Without Lis there would be no Daring Kitchen. Imagine! It was great to have a challenge that allows us to see the amazing creativity of the bakers, I will never get tired of that.



11 comments:

  1. Well both sound tasty sorry to hear that they were not perfect great job on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you... even after two years at the DK, I can never get enough :) Your Papa loaf and baby loaf put a smile on my face :o)
    The savory bread looks awesome, sorry to hear it was stodgy, but I'm sure it was amazing when toasted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These versions sound wonderfull and delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to giggle at omiting the chocolate because you ate it - that is something I would do! Sorry these didn't come out as good as you hoped - they still sound pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh about the reasons for your zucchini bread ingredient modifications. You'll have to give it another try at some point, I guess :) And the beer bread sounds pretty good! Great job with the varieties you chose, even if they weren't your favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe - this made me smile - glad to hear I'm not the only one who accidentally eats the cooking chocolate stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very funny story! Great challenge finale :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The beer cheese bread sounds and looks great. I love that you made do with what you (or didn't have) for the zucchini bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stout bread sounds fantastic! I am making corned beef for my brother's birthday, I bet he would love a loaf of the bread too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your zucchini bread alterations sound a lot like what I come up against. I like to blame it on baby-brain, but that only takes me so far... (my baby is 9 months old... still counts, right?) Your loaves look great, and hopefully will ne great jumping off points for retrying inthe future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zucchini bread sounds delicious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete